The Vanishing Policeman is the 4th season premiere of "Motive" which aired on March 22, 2016.
The victim: Police Constable Greg Schultz.
The killer: stand-up comic and Greg's older brother Murray Schultz.
Greg's death is the first case for Oscar since his recovery and promotion to staff sergeant, Brian in his new position as Angie's partner and the new homicide detective Mitch Kennecki, an overly cocky know-it-all because he is a legacy.
Greg's death is initially deemed a suicide based on eyewitness statements which includes a selfie video with Greg in complete uniform in the background just before he stepped by the water and shot himself in the head. However, nobody is able to identify Greg conclusively as the officer in question. Also despite the eyewitnesses, Greg's body and firearm (which was originally his father's) are not recovered from the water for several hours.
But Oscar wants to be overly cautious before officially announcing that it is a suicide, and despite the pressure placed on him by new Police Chief Wells, Oscar has good reason to be cautious as Angie believes the person in the selfie video is indeed not Greg, but someone dressed up to look like Greg, with his body dumped in the water probably several hours earlier.
The case may be hindered by Mitch wanting to make a good impression on the Police Chief, he implicating Lori Schultz, Greg's widow, as the murderer. But the other homicide detectives begin to focus on Greg's estranged brother Murray, the motive for the murder much more complex than the reason for their estrangement.
- Kristin Lehman as Detective Angie Flynn
- Louis Ferreira as Sergeant Oscar Vega
- Brendan Penny as Detective Brian Lucas
- Lauren Holly as Dr. Betty Rogers
- Victor Zinck Jr. as Detective Mitch Kennecki
- Marci T. House as Police Chief Jennifer Wells
- Matthew Kevin Anderson as Officer Greg Schultz
- Jon Heder as Murray Schultz
- Priscilla Faia as Lori Schultz
- Luciana Carro as Sandy Perrata
- Spencer Drever as Max Schultz
- Link Baker as Officer Lou Tarchuk
- Shiloh Blondel as Selfie Woman
- Conor Gomez as Heckler
- Donna Yamamoto as Lawyer